Developed by JoomVision.com

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center

Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center Ecotourism & Tourism Information Center
Developed by JoomVision.com

Museums

PDFPrintE-mail

history_museumState History Museum of Armenia: State History Museum of Armenia was founded in 1919. In different periods of its history the Museum bore different names (Ethnographical-Anthropological, State Central and Cultural-Historical Museum). The Museum had Archeology, Ethnography, Historiography and Fine Arts sections. In 1922 the Revolution section was established which later branched off and became a separate museum. The role of prominent scholars and artists (such as E. Lalayan, E. Shahaziz, G. Hovsepian, V. Akhikian, S. Lisitsian, R. Drampian and some others) in the development of the Museum and in the procurement of its first collections was enormous. The Museum collections became the main resource for starting up a number of museums (Museum of History of Yerevan, Armenian Ethnographic Museum, etc.). The archeological groups of the Museum conduct excavations on various sites and publish monographs and collections of research papers. Currently the Museum has about 400,000 exhibits, over 5,000 of which are on a permanent display.

12320182530Yerevan History Museum: The Yerevan History museum invites you to get acquainted with the history of our old and new Yerevan. The museum was founded in 1931. It is situated in the newly built complex of Yerevan Municipality at the heart of the city. The complex has been dedicated to Yerevan and other former capitals of Armenia. About 90.000 archeological, ethnographic and numismatic exhibits of the museum throw light on the history of the city beginning from ancient times up to date. Besides the main exposition, the museum organizes various temporary expositions. Paying a visit to the Yerevan history museum one can gain access to the depths of antiquity, admire the market-places and streets of old Yerevan as well as get involved in the modern developments of the old city.

-MatenadaranMatenadaran-Institute of Ancient Manuscripts: The Matenadaran, the Institute of Ancient Manuscripts, was founded in 1959 as the State depository of manuscripts. The Matenadaran is named after Mesrop Mashtots, the creator of Armenian Alphabet. 11000 completely preserved handwritten books and more than 2000 partially preserved manuscripts are the core of the Matenadaran collection. The majority of the books have precious leather covers with stamping and silver pressing. Most are full of elaborate miniatures, very important elements of medieval Armenian art. The Matenadaran building (architect Mark Grigorian) has the advantageous position of being located on hilltop of the Mashtots Avenue ending part. It dominates the center of Yerevan. This building made of basalt, reflects the forms and specifics of Armenian architecture. The statues of Movses Khorenatsi, Toros Roslin, Grigor Tatevatsi, Anania Shirakatsi, Mkhitar Gosh and Frik are in front of the main façade and the statues of Mesrop Mashtots and his disciple Koryun (sculptor Chubarian) are situated at a lower level. The Matenadaran has departments of Bibliography and Textual Studies, Old Chronicles, Medieval Chronicles, Documents and Miniatures Studies, Preservation, Restoration and Copying of Manuscripts and Archival Documents. It also has a library with a huge stock of Armenian study-related publications. Armenian manuscripts are on display not only in the Matenadaran but all over the world.

CICERNAKMuseum-Institute of Armenian Genocide: The Museum-Institute of Armenian Genocide was established in April of 1995. Its mission is to collect, research, publish, preserve and exhibit documents, photos, publications related to the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the government in Turkey during 1915-1923. It was built underground in the south-western corner of the platform of the Genocide Monument, bringing the Memorial site to wholeness. The surface of the roof-top is aligned with the platform of the Genocide Monument. The building is two-storey and circular. On the upper floor is an introductory hall, the Genocide display and a room with apses. These three halls are arranged in a semicircle. The first floor of the museum houses a library, document storage rooms, a conference hall and a scholarly research center of the history of the Armenian genocide. There are a lot of documents, authentic photos and the Genocide victims' personal effects and encased relics, illustrating the details of some of the most horrid events of the 20th century and reflecting the attitude of the world public to the Armenian Genocide, are on permanent display.

NAT_GAL_OF_ARMENIANational Gallery of Armenia: The Art Gallery of Armenia, opened in 1921, is one of the richest museums of the world. Its extensive collection of Armenian, Western European, Russian Art numbers over 19000 items. The Echmiadzin Monastery presented the Museum with a collection of Armenian art of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. A special section of the museum is devoted to the art of Armenian artists living abroad. Their works, bearing the imprint of cultural traditions of the countries where they happen to live, are imbued with a nostalgic longing of the artists for their motherland. The Gallery contains a first-class collection of Western European paintings. The collection occupies 8 rooms, opening with The Mystic Mariage of St. Catherine, a painting of the school of Lorenzo Di Bicci. A separate room is devoted to Italian Art. The Italian collection includes works of Leonardo Bassano, Giovanni Guercino, Benvenuto Garofalo, Bernardo Strozzi, Giovanni Tiepolo and works of other Italian masters. There is a fairy rich collection of the Dutch and Flemish schools. Canvases by Paul Rubens, Van Dyck, Jacob Jordaens, David Teniers, Peter Neefs and Jan Fyt are on the display. Peter Claesz and Jan Van Goen are also exhibited. Especially valuable are the canvases by French painters. Very emotive painterly atmosphere is created by the works of the artists belonging to the famous Barbizon School: Narcisse Diaz de la Pena, Theodore Rousseau, Eugene Boudin, Adolfe Monticelli and Vincent Van Gogh. The collection of Russian art is represented by works of such artists as Brulov, Repin, Surikov, Levitski, Tropinin, Borovitski, Serov and other masters. The section of Armenian art includes different branches of national art, graphics and sculpture. It has rich collections of works by Ayvazovski, Shahin, Saryan, Yakulov, Gyourjyan, Kodjoyan, Festadjyan and many other prominent masters.


 

You are here: Home Sites of Interst Museums
Green Blue Orange Back to Top